Saturday, July 30, 2011

DEANNA ERDMANN- HOME AND TIME

SPECIAL SCREENING OF NEW VIDEOS BY DEANNA ERDMANN
JULY 13, 2011, 7-9 PM
Luis de Jesus Gallery
2525 Michigan Ave
Bergamont Station F2
Santa Monica, CA 90404
310-453-7773

Deanna Erdmann presented a screening of three of her videos : "Cosmos", "Untitled" (Women) and "Untitled (Green).  Erdmann's videos were similtaneous- creating one continual experience. 
On a primary level there are elements of nostalgia with the female singers in (Women) and the U.S. night bombings in (Green). From a personal perspective, I watched the original TV programs of "Hulabaloo" and "Shin-dig" where Leslie Gore and Mariane Faithful crooned a new generation's lullaby.  Gore and Faithful represented the old and new guard of the time.  I sprayed on my "Heaven Scent" and grew my hair.  Karen Dalton was in between these two women.  She was not familiar to me until Erdmann shared her tragic story.  The night bombings and war scenes have also been part of my daily dose of television since I was a teenager.  The lines and sharp angles of "Cosmos" pushed me further in time.  Lines are the orginal art gesture and are represented from cave drawings to Cy Twombly's drawings and paintings. 

Erdmann's videos abstract time and yet represent familiar images that have been represented on our home television screens.  The videos reminds us of our human impulse to isolate memories and to assign them lasting significance.

No comments:

Post a Comment